RE: '89 Dak Leaking water(clear)from under dash air ducts

From: Weingart, Robert F (Robert) (rweingart@lucent.com)
Date: Mon Dec 14 1998 - 14:14:47 EST

Bill-

  Is the water coming from inside the duct or from the area around the duct?
My '89 leaks a little bit of water from around the general area of the floor
duct on a hard downpour. It runs down from somewhere and drips right from
the edge of the floor vent outlet. I think that mine is from when I had the
windshield changed. (Changed about 2 years before the leak)
  If it is definitely from the inside of the duct, then pull off your cowl
grille and see if the drain holes on either side of the cowl are clogged.
They drain to the inside of the fenders. The fresh air inlet is a small
cutout on the inside of the cowl on the pass. side of the truck. There
would have to be quite a bit of crap to back up the water enough to go in
the inlet (like 3 inches of water). There is some other stuff like body
seam sealer in that area. Check to see if it has deteriorated and should be
replaced.
  I could never duplicate the problem by simply running a hose on the area.
But, mine was never enough to get overly concerned.

Good Luck,
Rob Weingart

<<<

My wife is not impressed! Rained here in Ky. over the weekend. We were out
doing some Christmas shopping and as I turned a sharp left turn, she let out
a blood-curdling scream that nearly put me in the ditch. Seems some, well,
more than just some really cold, wet water came pouring out of the heater
duct on the passenger side of the Dak and straight into her shoe.

It was OK though after I told her not to put her foot under the heater
thingy. (Yeah, right!)

Anyhow, haven't had a chance to look into the situation yet, thought maybe
someone would have some suggestions on where to look for the source of this
discomfort.

Bill F.