Re: RE: NV3500

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Tue Dec 15 1998 - 01:01:47 EST

>I find this strange. The NVG 4500 tranny is THE SHIT in the four
>wheeling world. People go to extreme lengths to install these trannys
>in their rigs. I wonder where we could dig up some more dirt on this
>issue...
>
> Steve, 29
>Apache Junction, Arizona

As Shaun pointed out, I think the key is the weakness in fifth gear.

My roommate recently had an NV4500 mated to the back of the (AMC)
304 V8 in his CJ. He´s really happy to have a five speed.

I think I can explain the apparent disparity here. The NV tranny
must have pretty sturdy first and second gears, which are where
´wheelers apply torque. A Jeep doesn´t weigh much, and by the
time you get it up to fifth gear, you´re probably driving home on the
freeway. The frame of a Jeep can´t support towing anything like a
fifth-wheel trailer, so the tranny is never stretched.

Jim