Dakota's and computers

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Wed Dec 16 1998 - 21:39:31 EST

I'm not sure if anyone ever posted this, so I'll post it myself. Got a
few chuckles out of it...

title-"yeah, but would you want your car to crash twice a day?" from
ASE bulletin, December '98

At a recent computer expo, a computer executive compared hisindustry
with the auto industry and stated that if auto manufacturers had kept up
with technology like the computer industry has, consumers would all be
driving twenty-five dollar cars that get 1000 miles per gallon.
Right....and if that was the case:

1. Every time they painted the lines on the road, you would have to buy
a new Dakota (edited for DAK content)

2. occasionally your truck would die on the freeway for no reason, and
you would just accept this, restart and drive on.

3. Occasionally, executing a maneuver would cause your truck to stop
and fail and you would have to reinstall the engine. For some strange
reason, you would accept this too.

4. You could only have one person in your truck at a time, unless you
bough a Truck98 or TruckNT. But, then you would have to buy more seats.

5. Macintosh would make a truck that was powered by the sun, was
reliable, five times as fast, twice as easy to drive, but would only run
on five percent of the roads.

6. Macintosh truck owners would get expensive Microsoft upgrades to
their trucks, which would make their trucks run much slower.

7. The oil, gas, and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a
single general truck default warning light.

8. New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.

9. The airbag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.

10. If you were involved in a crash, you would have no idea what had
just happened.

I bet we could come up with a few more to add to this- such as-

-Every 10 months, your truck loses half of its resale value.
-You would have to restart it when the blinker or horn stopped working,
just in case it was a glitch.
-You would have to wait 2 minutes for the basic functions to become
operational so you could put it
  in Drive and pull away.

I'm looking forward to what else ya'll can come up with on this one!

Patrick