Re: MP SBEC, bad pinging problem, please help!

From: JeffofSLU@aol.com
Date: Thu Dec 17 1998 - 22:14:31 EST

In a message dated 12/17/98 7:04:39 PM Central Standard Time,
stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu writes:

<< That sounds all too familiar. :-) I had the same thing with my '96.
 Fortunately, I had heard about others having the same problem and I was
 planning on changing the thermostat anyway, so I had the thermostat handy.
 I was getting pinging on 93 octane, but after I dropped the 180 degree t-stat
 in, problem solved.

    Some people on the list are running 160 degree thermostats. Personally,
 that's lower than I'm comfortable going; you should be OK with a 180. The
 stock t-stat is 195. From what I've heard, the "normal operating temp" of
 the engine is 180 degrees.

   Do you have header wrap or anything like that on your headers? Generally,
 a set of headers will help to reduce pinging... ?

Jon,
        Thanks for responding. I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one to
have this problem. To answer your question, I don't have any kind of wrap or
coating on my Doug Thorley's other than what they came with. I too would think
that they would, if anything, help prevent pinging. Now that I think about it,
they probably are to some extent, just not enough to eleminate the problem.
        I checked out your post on the thermostat install, and it doesn't look like
too bad of a job. I'm going to go get the stuff I need tonight and install it
in the morning. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
        Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.