Re: DML Intro (Stuff)

From: David Henry (dhenry@advdata.net)
Date: Fri Dec 18 1998 - 19:39:52 EST

Yeah. Have to sign the messages with both my 'first' names to avoid
confusion. BTW, the bags have never been used, but that's just because I
don't tend to have people who are really queasy in the truck!

As for hard core, I really don't see how in a Dak. I'm only getting close
with Dual shocks and HD torsion bars to an Ok for off-road setup. Even
with this it doesn't take too much to cause the front suspension to bottom
out when going over bouncy terrain.

The stock suspension was by my opinion, very soft for a truck. This is my
first, so there wasn't much comparison. It had great comfy highway ride,
but was too soft for me. It was much softer than what you'd find in an
average car. I think that a luxury boat was the only thing that would have
a smoother ride. By comparison I was in a co-workers F250-HD 4x4 and I
don't think the suspension even moved at all! Boy was that a harsh bouncy
ride.

The thing that really kills me is the 3.21 axle. Great for highway, but
otherwise it sucks. 65 MPH = 1800 RPM. It will go 85 in 3rd gear without
touching its 4750 RPM Redline. Scary thought that they're still 2 more
gears left! I'd really like to find a strip to go to just to see how slow
it really is. It would probably be better on the salt flats though.

On a similar thought, I've noticed that the engine Redline seems to vary
with the year of the vehicle. Anyone know if there's anything in the guts
of the motor to cause this, or if it's just a computer thing? Jules?

David Henry '94 CC 4x4 318 5Spd in MI