[none]

From: S.T. Arvey (strv@erols.com)
Date: Fri Dec 18 1998 - 20:33:58 EST

It's amazing. I posted something like the question below (in between the
stars) to this group
 about a month ago, and got all kinds of answers but
 noone mentioning PINGING. (I'm totally new to cars... but learning). I
went to the dealer, and the Dodge mechanic took a ride with me and told me
the sound was PINGING (it took a while for the sound to appear, but
eventually we heard it very faintly....it's usually much louder though).
All he could say was use a higher octane (though he did also make some kind
of adjustment to the engine computer, though that didn't help the sound).
 He said it wouldn't hurt the engine to just let it ping and NOT use a
higher octane, but nevertheless he said I should use a higher octane.
Not sure i want to pay more money to get a rid of sound. But i read
somewhere that pinging can eventually hurt your engine (if it gets really
loud?).

Relative to the investment in your vehicle, a few pennies more for higher
grade fuel is peanuts. Suggest you follow the advice of your mechanic.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.
Canada