Good and bad dealership page. Was: Fog Light Out!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 21 1998 - 12:16:03 EST

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, brian duffey wrote:

> Hey Jon,
>
> This recent example of dealer generated B*S* ...
>
> " I ask the dealer to send me the switch because it is a 150 mile trip
> them but they said they could not send me a headlight switch rather
> because
> it was a safety related item it has to be installed by the dealer. "
>
> gave me an idea... (of course it might mean you'd need to make another page
> for the DML).
> How about creating a page where DML'ers can list the dealerships that pull
> B*S* type tricks like this one. A headlight switch needs to be dealer
> installed !? What a load of #%*@!!
> I've seen a few other prime examples of dealer BS on the list lately,
> besides this one. I know that trying to find a decent/honest/reliable
> dealership is next to impossible - I've yet to find one in the DC area!
>
> Maybe a list (heck it can even be for good & bad comments), would help out
> the DML'ers & might even give notice to the less-reputable dealerships to
> clean up their acts (OK, crazy Christmas wish). Like I said, just a thought
> - feel free to tell me to shut up if you've already got enough to do.

   Hmmmmm.... Ya know, that's not a bad idea. Not a bad idea at all! :-)

I like the idea of having good and bad comments. I know some of us with
performance-oriented vehicles like to find performance-oriented dealers
that won't hassle people over aftermarket parts. This might help in
that arena...

  I like it... This is just the sort of thing that would help out
DML'ers, and reward the good dealerships at the same time... Forget
the Chrysler 5 star program, this is the DML 5 star program! ;-)

   I can probably use a method similar to what I use for the DragTruk
pages (a pseudo-database), so once its created, the actual effort to
maintain the page should be negligible.

   Ok, what sort of information should be included in this? Obviously
we need the dealership's name and location. And probably good and
bad comments for each dealership. I can make the software automatically
generate a "rating" for each dealership based on how many good and bad
comments they get, and generate an (unscientific) "ranking" of the good
and bad dealerships... Should we allow "neutral" comments? (Like, "I went
to this dealership for such-and-such, but I'm indifferent about the
service; it was neither good nor bad...") ?

  Can anyone think of anything else that should be included?

  We'll need a name for this thing too... :-)

                                              -Jon-