Re: Aftermarket T56 Information

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 21:29:04 EST

At 04:54 PM 12/22/98 +0000, you wrote:
>I came across an article today about the Borg-Warner T56.
>Here are some excerpts since much of it applies to Chevs
>and Fords.

  Thanks, Bob! Great info! Where'd you find it, BTW?

>The aftermarket version of the T56 6-speed works with a push-
>style clutch. Its roughly the same size as a T5 (5-speed),
>but bigger than what was available in an '81 El Camino. It
>fits without creative floorboard bashing. It comes with
>a 5/16" adapter plate and has a 4-bolt pattern instead of
>the 8-bolt pattern used on the OEM T56.
>
>It is capable of handling much more torque than the T5
>and stronger than the ZF which is used in the Corvette.
>There is nothing else available on the Viper because
>nothing else will hold up. Torque rating is based on
>the application of peak torque for a sustained 24-hr
>period.

   Nice! :-)

>The aftermarket version was designed to replace the T5 in
>'82-'92 Camaros and Firebirds.
>
>There is no Chysler aftermarket version. However, redrilling
>the bolt pattern in the adapter plate that comes with the
>GM version does make it useable in a variety of applications.
>The concern for Mopar users is whether the input shaft is
>the right length to work with their clutch housing.

   Ok, so I take it from this that the version in the Viper is
available only through Dodge, so the GM aftermarket is the
way to go? Does anyone know anything about the input shaft
issue? What does that mean, exactly? Would it help to
replace the clutch with a dual friction centerforce at
the same time, or does that not replace the housing too? Why
is the length of the input shaft important in relation to the
clutch?
   Also, when they speak about redrilling the bolt pattern, are
they talking about adding additional holes to an already drilled
adapter plate? If so, that seems to me like it would weaken
the tranny?

  (Sorry, I'm a tranny newbie) ;-)

>OE vs Aftermarket
>
>A used 6-speed out of a junked '93 or later Camaro/Firebird
>is about $700 while a new T56 is about $1,800.

 WOW!!! Is that US or Canadian??? That's about HALF what I had
expected to spend! This is GREAT news! =) $1,800 for a new
T-56... Droool... :-)

>The speedometer cable hookup is a major difference between the
>OEM trans and the aftermarket unit. A conversion kit exits
>but it cost more than $600.

    Are they talking about GM or Mopar here? Anyone know where
and how the speedo cable hooks up on a '96+ Dak?

>The Viper comes with the following ratios: 2.66:1, 1.78:1, 1.30:1,
>1.00:1, 0.74:1 and 0.50:1. The aftermarket primary gears are
>evenly spaced and provide the multiplication necessary to move
>the load smartly off the mark. The top two overdrive ratios readily
>accommodate a relatively short axle (3.73, 4.10 or deeper).

   That's an issue I'm a bit worried about... To figure out your final
drive ratio, you multiply rearend * tranny gear, right? If so, currently
my first and second gears are:

  3.55 * 4.016 = 14.2568
  3.55 * 2.318 = 8.2289

   Swapping in the T-56 with no rearend change would give me:

  3.55 * 2.66 = 9.443
  3.55 * 1.78 = 6.319

  That's like taking off in 2nd gear; probably not gonna be real helpful on
the track. (What *is* a good 1st-2nd gear final drive ratio to aim for,
anyway?)
If I go to a 4.10 or all the way up to a 4.56, I could get:

  4.10 * 2.66 = 10.906
  4.10 * 1.78 = 7.298

  4.56 * 2.66 = 12.1296
  4.56 * 1.78 = 8.1168

   Which is still more anemic than my current setup (for 1st anyway), but
I think I could probably live with the 4.56's final drive ratio. But, how
do 4.56's react to highway driving? If I'm cruising along at 70mph, are
those gears going to be just howling away back there along with my driveshaft
spinning at about a billion RPM?
  The Vipers seem to be OK with these gears and a low 3.0X ratio, but I
suspect they're a lot lighter than my Dak. Maybe once I start making more
power, the lower final drive wouldn't be as noticeable?

  I need to resolve these issues... Anyone know any helpful guidelines,
formulas, articles, books, or fortune tellers? :-)

  And, as long as I'm desperately fishing for information... How difficult
do you guys think this mod is? How hard is it to replace a tranny? I'm
assuming I assume I won't won't actually have to go inside it and mess with
the gears, just wedge, bolt, curse, and fabricate to get it in the truck?
Seems to me like doing it myself is inside the realm of possibility, but since
I don't have all the answers, I can't be sure. Hey, maybe we can get a few
hotshot DML wrench turners to my place for a DML meet/tranny swap. ;-)

   Anyone know of any tranny related OBD-II issues?

                                               -Jon-