Re: Bad Gas Mileage

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 21:39:33 EST

At 09:02 PM 12/22/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Good luck Russ. The tire pressure thing is one of the first things I
>checked. Mine weren't low, but I decided to go 10psi over the sidewall
>rating to see if things would improve... No good for me (but at least they
>haven't blown-up yet :-) --hopefully you'll have more success. I'm up in
>New England so I'm sure they've started oxygenating the fuel which means my
>MPG is gonna' keep goin' down 'till spring :(
>
>I'm thinking about maybe removing my FABM and putting the stock air system
>back on just to see if there is any effect. Maybe that's the culprit???...
> Any thoughts on this one?

    Another factor that is probably affecting your MPG is the air
temperature...
Cold air is more dense, so the computer would have to use more fuel to keep
the A/F ratio in line, and you'd use more fuel. I have no idea how much
of an affect this would have though. It could be 5mpg or .000005 mpg, I have
no clue.

  I just filled up my truck today and got 12.35 MPG, usually its about
14-15, sometimes 17. Most of the problem with my truck though is the
amount of time I let it warm up. I go start it in the morning, then hop
in the shower. Unfortunately, that nice hot shower is really hard to
get out of in the morning, so sometimes my Dak sits out there idling for
a good half-hour. Its nice and warm when I get out there though! ;-)

                                               -Jon-