Re: Aftermarket T56 Information (Attn: Jon)

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Tue Dec 22 1998 - 23:47:59 EST

Jon.

The article appeared in Hot Rod/Car Craft Power Tips,
Hot Rod Special Series. It's mainly a Chevy (what else)
mag. It had on the cover...display until Oct. 26/98.
I got it because it had an article on hacking on-board
computers, even though it's oriented towards Chevys.
The T56 article dealt with installing the
aftermarket B-W T56 into a '81 automatic El Camino.

<<<Ok, so I take it from this that the version in the Viper is
available only through Dodge, so the GM aftermarket is the
way to go? Does anyone know anything about the input shaft
issue? What does that mean, exactly? Would it help to
replace the clutch with a dual friction centerforce at
the same time, or does that not replace the housing too? Why
is the length of the input shaft important in relation to the
clutch?
 Also, when they speak about redrilling the bolt pattern, are
they talking about adding additional holes to an already drilled
adapter plate? If so, that seems to me like it would weaken
the tranny?>>>

The article certainly implied that the Viper version is considered
an OEM. It stated that B-W was going after both Chev and Ford
with the aftermarket transmission. B-W offers 2 versions:
one for the GM cars and one for Mustangs/T-Birds. The Ford
version is the simpler to install as it comes a complete clutch
housing so all you have to do is to take off the old clutch and
mount the new one in place. The article says redrilling the bolt
pattern in the adapter plate that comes with the GM version does
make it usable in a variety of applications.

The specific install required the Centerforce 10.5" dual friction
clutch, along with a Centerforce flywheel, pressure plate and throwout
bearing.

<<<A used 6-speed out of a junked '93 or later Camaro/Firebird
is about $700 while a new T56 is about $1,800.
  WOW!!! Is that US or Canadian??? That's about HALF what I had
expected to spend! This is GREAT news! =) $1,800 for a new
T-56... Droool... :-)>>>

That's US.

<<<The speedometer cable hookup is a major difference between the
OEM trans and the aftermarket unit. A conversion kit exits
but it cost more than $600.
   Are they talking about GM or Mopar here? Anyone know where
and how the speedo cable hooks up on a '96+ Dak?>>>

The kit is to convert a digital-signal trans to mechanical...
i.e. reference was to the new F-cars being digital.

The article is 4 pages long with pics showing installation
into the '81 El Camino. If you want me to try to scan it
in and e-mail it to you, it'll be long and large but it'll
probably put everything in proper context for you.

Let me know if you want it.

Bob