Re: Virus Warning

From: David Gloff (dgloff@xnet.com)
Date: Wed Dec 23 1998 - 17:36:32 EST

Sorry Jack, you've been snookered. I've heard this PARTICULAR "Virus
alert" at least 7 times this year from various sources, the only thing
that ever changes is the date it was released from microsoft. Recall if
you will that MS does not, nor have they every, produced a virus scanning
package, nor do they do virus research (they have included antivirus
products in their operating systems that were purchased from third
parties, however). There are several dozen virus hoaxes going around the
net, the first one I remember was the "Goodtimes" virus warning going
around about 6 years ago. You'll probably get a few more of these kind of
hoaxes in the next few months, just remember that the ONLY ways to get a
virus from an e-mail message is to run an attachment, and through a
security hole in Netscape and Outlook dealing with message subjects in
excess of 255 characters (there's a patch to fix that one). I'm not
trying to be bitchy, and I'm sorry for using you as an example, but I, for
one, would appreciate it if no one posted these "warnings" in the future.

Dak content: My Dakota, which I was hoping would be in yesterday or
today, is not shipping until next week!! :-(

David Gloff
Valcom Professional Computer Center/Kemper Funds