Re: Lincoln Blackwood

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Thu Dec 31 1998 - 10:29:43 EST

>The Blackwood features African wood paneling along the sides of the bed, more
>than 20 square feet of it. Each strip of wood is separated by a brushed
>aluminum strip. The cab and front end are finished in high-gloss black paint.

That actually sounds pretty nice. The bed of our ´56 D100 (dead and buried,
I´m afraid) was oak, with steel strips. You didn´t feel guilty about
spilling oil in it, "hell, I´m adding wood preservative".

>The interior is similar to the Navigator's, with wood accents and leather
>seating. A global positioning satellite system is built into the center
>console.

That would be impressive! I expect they mean a GPS receiver. I doubt you
could afford a truck with dual radioisotope (cesium and rubidium) clocks
accurate to a couple of parts per billion!

>''Blackwood is a vehicle that is as much at home hauling horses to an
>equestrian event in Texas as it is carrying a party of four to a Broadway
>play,'' said J Mays, Ford's vice president of design.

Ah yeahhhh, except where are you gonna park the beast in downtown
Manhattan? Ahhh, valet!!

>Ford's Lincoln-Mercury division, which moved its headquarters to Southern
>California from the Detroit area this year, decided to unveil the Blackwood in
>Los Angeles as part of its effort to overhaul its image as a builder of stodgy
>luxury cars for old folks.

Lincoln: Builder of stodgy luxury trucks for old folks. (Same thought as Jon.)

Jim
´93 4x4 CC V8