RE: Y Pipe diameters

From: dakota_5sp_v8 (Dakota_5sp_v8@zracer.com)
Date: Thu Dec 31 1998 - 14:07:31 EST

Go 2.5, that is what the stock dia is the rest of the way out. My truck had
JBA shorties and then a 3" single exit mopar cat back was put on and had a
real big hit in low end and nothing to make up for it on the high end other
than good sound. I did this because a kb blower is on order and what goes in
must come out so I bit my tongue for a while.

After replacing the Y with 2 1/2 pipe I got more power out of the gate. What
diameter of the pipe to get depends on what you do to your engine. If you
plan on an aftermarket cam or something that will give a big increase then
go larger. I would have gone 3" couldn't find a 3" cat.

If I were to do the y pipe again then I would find the female end that the
02 sensor screws in to and bring that to the exhaust shop. This way they
can use the new fitting instead of cutting the old one out and welding it
into the new pipe so the sensor can be put back in.

Joel