Re: Oil pressure problems

From: Sam Parthemer (maverick_nr552@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 15:59:10 EST

It wasn't real clear to me on how did your friend determine
what oil pressure you were getting at a given RPM. Are
you going merely by the gauge???

Did the OIL light come on in the dash???

Did you check the oil level BEFORE you added two quarts???

I've had 2 times where the oil pressure gauge went
south, and I too feared that I had NO oil pressure.
Turns out the oil pressure sending unit went bad.
That sending unit doesn't affect the OIL light in
the dash, just the gauge.

The sending unit was replaced at the dealer for $50.00
(I took it to them to have it checked out thoroughly).

One low tech way to check that you have oil pressure:

With the engine cold, take off the oil filler cap, and
look at the rockers... They will probably be pretty clean/
low amounts of oil. Start the truck. Within 5-6 seconds
you should see oil sloshing all about (and out) of the
filler hole.

But probably the safest thing would be to have it checked
by the dealer (just diagnostics). Or you could go buy a
oil pressure sending unit, and install it and see if the
gauges works again. That's more than likely the case.

Sam '95 SLT
    '99 RT