Re: :Digital (LONG)(non Dak related)

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Tue Jan 05 1999 - 20:32:42 EST

The floppy cameras are cool. SONY Mavica (I use
to work for Sony, 3 months ago).

The problem with the floppy disks.... On high res.
you only get 1 non compressed image per
diskette (tiff image format) 1024x768.
It takes about 30 seconds to right the image
to the file. So for a general camera (used on trips,\
Disneyland, DML meets, etc.etc.) they aren't the best
solution because you'd need 100+ floppies ready to go,
and you'd take 50 minutes to take all of those
pictures! (~30 sec/100 floppies).

The way the memory cards are, you buy a big
one, then just download the images to your PC
when you want them (serial/inFR/USB). Don't worry
about compatibility... It's getting like AAA and AA
batteries... Your biggest concern will be which
brand to buy!

I use USB for my digital netcam, and will be changing
over to a USB scanner soon. If you are in the market
for a camera, and want to spend the least for the most,
Checkout www.kodak.com, and go to the outlet section.
My friend picked up a DC120 (refurb.) for $399, and
found a 32 mb memory card for $125.00.... They also
have deals on refurbed DC210's, etc.

Sam '95 SLT