Preparing for a DAK purchase

From: Parker, Jon (jparker@grci.com)
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 10:10:12 EST

Hello, my name is Jon and I am new to the list. I live in the Washington,
D.C. metro area (Annandale, VA). If Uncle Sam provides as generous a tax
refund as I project, that will be a downpayment on a new 99 Dakota. I plan
to order so that I may equip it exactly as I like. I have looked at Dakotas
over the past month at several area dealerships and have so far decided on
the following:

4x4 Club Cab
5.2L V8 w/Auto trans
Forest Green Clear Coat
Sport Plus Group
Power Overhead Convenience Group
Deluxe Convenience Group (Tilt & Cruise)
5x7 Fixed Power Mirrors
Sliding Rear Window
ABS

Other options I am still pondering and I was hoping to get some advice,
opinions and suggestions from list members. I plan to use the vehicle as a
daily driver for commuting, errands, etc. Will do light hauling, probably
not much towing (i.e., didn't think I needed any of the Heavy Duty service
options). I like to hike and the vehicle will see some snow and forest
service and fire roads, but I don't plan on any killer off roading (i.e.,
didn't think I needed the skid plate group).

1) Thinking about either the Full Time Transfer Case (FTTC) or the Sure Grip
Axle (i.e., LSD), or both. What do folks think of the FTTC? Would it be of
any value? Are there any drawbacks? I would like to get the best MPG I can
with the V8. Would the FTTC lower MPG vs the Part Time Transfer Case (PTTC)
when either is not in use? Also, it is unclear to me what the base axle
ratio is on the V8 w/auto. Is it 3.55? I think with the LSD you have to
get at least the 3.55, but if the ratio w/o the LSD is lower that would
potentially lead to better MPG.

2) I like the versatility of the bench seat, but my initial impression is
that it is not as comfortable on my back as the bucket seats. I am also
considering the power drivers seat. What opinions do list members have?

3) I had planned to take the standard radio as I was going to put in my own
stereo w/CD player, amp and speakers. I've never been that impressed with
factory stereos and I think you get more bang for the buck with aftermarket
products.

I have enjoyed the list for the short time I have been a member. I
appreciate any and all input that would help me make the right decisions
regarding my purchase.

Thanks.

Jon