Re: Preparing for a DAK purchase

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 11:17:15 EST

<<Hello, my name is Jon and I am new to the list.>>

Welcome to the list Jon.

<<I live in the Washington, D.C. metro area (Annandale, VA).>>

Isn't Ward from that area as well?? Must be some kind of conspiracy to get
everyone in the DC area to buy a new Kota! That's a conspiracy of the best kind
:-)

<<I like to hike and the vehicle will see some snow and forest service and
fire roads, but I don't plan on any killer off roading (i.e., didn't think I
needed the skid plate group).>>

I'd reconsider the skid plates... Even mild trails have a tendency to reach
up and take a bite out of something underneath. IMHO it's short money for
long term protection.

<<1) Thinking about either the Full Time Transfer Case (FTTC) or the Sure
Grip Axle (i.e., LSD), or both. What do folks think of the FTTC? Would it
be of any value? Are there any drawbacks? I would like to get the best MPG
I can with the V8. Would the FTTC lower MPG vs the Part Time Transfer Case
(PTTC) when either is not in use? Also, it is unclear to me what the base
axle ratio is on the V8 w/auto. Is it 3.55? I think with the LSD you have
to get at least the 3.55, but if the ratio w/o the LSD is lower that would
potentially lead to better MPG.>>

I have the FTTC and there is no impact as far as MPG goes. Down in DC I
don't know if it is worth it. I wanted it 'cause I regularly need 4WD on the
highway/paved roads when I head north. If I were you I'd get the sure grip
(LSD) and leave out the FTTC just because you are in a warmer climate. YMMV.
 My gearing is 3.55 and it has plenty of get up and go (for me) with the V8
and 31x10.5 tires. It's kind of neat to be cruising at 70-75 and only show
2k on the tach too.

<<2) I like the versatility of the bench seat, but my initial impression is
that it is not as comfortable on my back as the bucket seats. I am also
considering the power drivers seat. What opinions do list members have?>>

I bought mine off the lot and it came with the "premium" power bucket
seats. I thought it was a needless expense at the time but, DAMN, they
sure are comfortable. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to
regular seats!

<<3) I had planned to take the standard radio as I was going to put in my own
stereo w/CD player, amp and speakers. I've never been that impressed with
factory stereos and I think you get more bang for the buck with aftermarket
products.>>

There are some serious audiophiles on this list that will answer this one...
If you don't get a lot of responses with this message, try sending another
post with just this question... You'll get a wealth of info/suggestions!

Good luck and enjoy your new Dak!

T.