Transgo Install or Not?

From: James Thomas (callisto@flash.net)
Date: Thu Jan 07 1999 - 22:45:01 EST

I just bought a Transgo shift kit to put on my wife's 94' 4X4 Dakota but
the tranny guys around here, that would be doing the install for me, all
say it will shift too hard and that she will not like it. Of course I
can't find someone around Oklahoma City that has done one of these
installs, on a Dakota, who really knows what they are talking about.
What is it like? So far I have been scared out of installing it but
since I've never driven a vehicle with a shift kit in it I'm trying to
find out as much as possible before I do something to her truck I'll
regret. Ya know what I mean? The wife drives the truck probably 80% of
the time as her commuter I only use it for hunting and fishing. I'm not
trying to make the truck a hotrod but I am trying to get some better
performance, fuel economy and life expectancy.
I am doing a throttle body and FIPK with Magnum Performance at the end
of this month and have already upgraded my plugs, wires, rotor and cap.
I ordered the shift kit with the ignition stuff but now have my doubts
whether I should install it or not.
From all the articles I've read in the DML archives it seems everyone is
pleased with the kit but it also is apparent that some tweaking may be
required for every kit and there are over reving problems etc. I'm not
exactly a transmission mechanic and don't have a money tree to tweak a
bunch of problems with. Heck I haven't even been able to find an
experienced installer with the Transgo in Dakota's here. The
transmission is not broke or apart right now I may be better off leaving
what ain't broke alone. This kit may not be for me?
Advice is welcome folks, hit me! Undecided in Oklahoma............