Re: Interior Q's on a 98 Dakota SLT!

From: David Gloff (dgloff@xnet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 08 1999 - 10:07:08 EST

I can't help you with the interior, but if you're doing an audio upgrade,
you do need to replace the deck. I can't tell you the TRUE rating (one
you could compare with other head units), but the specs advertised at the
dealer on the premium units state their power at 62 or 66 (depending on
the deck) watts at 3%THD. Since they don't state whether this is peak or
RMS, we can assume it's peak, so cut the RMS approximately by 3, getting
22-25 or so watts RMS total, which is 5 or 6 watts RMS per channel. Also
remember that this is at 3% THD, while most head units are rated at
something less than 1% THD (some as low as .l%).

Basically what all this hogwash means is that the factory head unit has
enough power to drive the factory speakers, but not aftermarket ones
(which typically demand at least 10 watts), so if you plan to upgrade your
speakers, upgrade your head unit first. Alpine, Sony, Kenwood, Clarion,
Coustic, Eclipse, and several other companies make quality head units that
will suit your needs (whatever they may be). My advice? Check out the
small, privately owned stereo shops in your area, and find one that sells
quality products and has honest and knowledgeable salespeople (tough to
find, but they're out there). If you can't find one, then try the United
Audio/Circut City/etc... but I'd avoid Best Buy and department
stores/Wal-Mart type stores because they typically sell lower-quality
equipment.

David Gloff
Loaded '99 Intense Blue Dakota Sport CC 318 5-speed 3.92SG 4x2
Sony CD Player and Amp, Phoenix Gold speakers and Sub going in on Tuesday