RE: Help on Stereo Amps(wattage)

From: Michael Guzinski (m.gski@CWIX.com)
Date: Sun Jan 10 1999 - 23:29:21 EST

I like using multi channel amps, you only have to mess with one power,
ground, remote, ect. The quality you get out of a good quality amp will be
much better than the power from your head unit. The total harmonic
distortion will be less as well, that is what will kill speakers before loud
music will. Running both fron and rear speakers from the same amp is a
normal practice, most multi channel amps will have gain controls to set the
stage of the system. In most high end installs you will want to set the
"soundstage" to the front, increase the power going to the front speakers.
Another thing you can do is to add a preamp, crossover, or EQ to split the
line level output from your head unit to front and rear, alot of them even
have an output for a sub if you want to add another amp aor get a
multichanel that has a 4X35+1X??. Try to stay away from the low quality
products, if generic brand X offers 100X4 at 5%THD and Sony or Rockford has
an amp that is 4X30 at .05%THD, you will get more sound out of the lower
powered high quality amp. Stay with the brands you have seen around for a
while, Soundstream, Rockford, PPI, Sony, are examples of decent amps. Good
luck with your system!!!

Mike Guzinski
1999 Dakota SLT CC
4x4 V-8 Auto