Re: Help on Stereo Amps(wattage) -Reply

From: mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes) (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 13:20:47 EST

>>> different companies have
different ways of describing a watt. <<<

I hear ya' on that one. In my experiences with amps of all kinds (home,
car, professional audio, PA systems) the numbers you see aren't always
what they seem. Most gear comes with a spec sheet. This thing must
have authentic information by law. Double check things on it like
frequency response (speakers) and how many watts it puts out at
which ohm load. Pay attention to RMS power ratings and PEAK power.
RMS is what the amp runs at most of the time, and PEAK is with the
volume wide open on a hard hittin' spot in the music. You probably
already knew all this stuff, but I'll feel better if I tell ya' anyway =)
hehehe

good luck!

-mike d.