Re: Tek-Style Bike Rack

From: Randy Drew (FonMan@ican.net)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 10:42:26 EST

Jetmugg@aol.com wrote:

> I checked through a bunch of pictures this afternoon, and I don't really have
> a good one that shows how the bikes attach to the rack, so I'll try to give a
> description. When the weather gets nicer, I'll take some good pics. Okay-
> for starters, the whole rack bolts to some extra bed-rail clamps, just like
> the ones used to hold the tonneau frame in place. The rack actually bolts to
> these brackets (clamps) through grommets placed in the tonneau (I have not
> noticed any significant leakage from the grommets). There are two main rails
> which span the width of the bed. Onto these two rails are two pices of c-
> shaped channel (much like a Thule or Yakima rack), which mount to the cross-
> rails, with the "c" shape open upwards. At the front are regular quick
> releases for the front forks, and the rear tires are clamped into the c
> channel. I added some additional support, in the form of two tie down
> "loops", which I use to strap the frames of the bikes to the rack. This
> removes any swaying from the bikes in crosswinds, rough roads, etc. The
> factory setup was okay, but I wanted a bit more security for my (and my
> wife's) bicycles. The rack works well with both mountain and road bikes, and
> I have used it to haul some other odd-shaped objects as well (including a car-
> top carrier) on occasion.
>
> Hope this helps for now, until I get some good pics. Tek-Style may be able to
> provide some pics also, I know they have a pic of the rack in some of their
>
> SteveM.
Steve ,

Hey thanks for the info. Do they have a web page? The one in the Dakota
ads in magazines is not shown, it just shows two mountain bikes in the
bed from side view. Could be just props, eh.

Do you mountain or road bike? I like both but there are no mountains in
ontario, we have to go to b.c.

thanks again.

randy
fonman@ican.net