Bank Runs, Y2k Prep

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Tue Jan 12 1999 - 14:12:56 EST

>Vladmir you can bet im withdrawing all my money from the bank before
>2000. The federal goverment has already stashed 56billion dollars to
>distribute to the banks when the run starts...id start preparing now for
>the worst ie food water heat source better to be safe than sorry

My apologies to Patrick. This is my last post to the list. Iīll answer
private email on the subject, though.

What good is paper money really going to do? If someone (say, your grocer)
will take paper money, why wouldnīt they take a check? I think youīre a lot
better off stockpiling some extra food and liquor, and then plan to barter
for whatever you forgot. Buy what you like, including luxury items, so if
nothing at all happens, you can celebrate the dawn of the REAL millenium on
1 Jan 2001 in high style. Youīll be a lot happier than if you buy a bunch
of gold coins.

I would strongly recommend that you get to know all your neighbors, and
encourage them to put a little food and water aside as well, so you arenīt
put in the position of being the only outfit around with food. If you know
them real well, it would be a good idea to discuss defense strategies,
particularly in urban centers.

Iīm talking about being prepared for the (nearly) worst case. I expect the
power to be out for about two weeks. However, itīs quite possible the
transportation network - trains, trucking, etc. could be all fouled up for
months, resulting in some pretty serious food shortages. Then thereīs the
water systems. And itīll be different than your run-of-the-mill disaster
(itīll be a run-of-the-millenium - sic), in that there wonīt be anyplace
unaffected by it, where you can load up helicopters from.

Jim
ī93 4x4 CC V8