TB mods ?'s for flyboy01

From: mike.burgess@akamail.com
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 11:54:03 EST

I went to your WWW page, http://home.att.net/~flyboy01
and looked at all the cool stuff you have there, but I have a ? about one statement
on your main page about the O2 sensor:
  3. Don't do the exhaust yet, the stock system flows plenty of air for now.
  Port your throttle body. Get more air into the engine first before doing
  exhaust mods, this keeps your engine from getting a lean signal for the
  O/2 sensors. The throttle body made the biggest difference in overall
  power from the engine.
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. The O2 sensor (when in
run/hot/closed loop mode) trys to keep the "ideal" ratio. This shouldl be under
computer control all the time, and that's why we are able to make mods
(within the limits of the computers range, and the injectors capacity.) I would
think that since the stock injectors are at about max flow at WOT, adding more air
WOULD make it leaner, once the injectors are at their limits.
 Also on your TB mod page, here in Kalifornia, the AQMD checks the seal on
the idle screw, if it's gone, you fail smog, and loose the $ cap on repairs.
 If after the mods, there is more air getting past the 46mm butterfly, at the
50mm bore (6mm of air gap), I would think that the butterflys would need to
be replaced with 50mm., not adjusting the idle screw.

   Hmm, how is this handled with Bruces stage ll (which I have on order),
Bruce, is it really a drop-in, or does the idle screw need to be tweaked?

  Anyway, I'm open to all sorts of ideas, I just need to understand them.
I'm still mesing with a Jacobs inig system, and opening up my spark gap,
I should have been getting better mileage, but I don't seem to see it. Just
did a road trip to AZ this weekend, held it back to about 68MPH both ways,
and my mileage was only 17.6MPG That's about what I got at 75mph.

 Anyone got the console with the mileage computer in it, would you do a
run on your next road trip, a couple of miles at 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80 mph,
and try to get a charting of where the MPG peaks at?
I have 318, 4p auto w/od, 3:55 rear axle 2,000 RPM's at about 68 MPH
  Mike
         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)