Re: Passenger side grab handle install

From: Tony Mastres (mastres@id.ucsb.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 12:23:10 EST

>I ordered and received the parts to put a grab handle on the passenger side of
>my 97 club cab. Total cost was $45 and that included the handle, new a-pillar
>trim piece and all hardware. Has anybody installed one of these? From what I
>understand, these handles were not available on the 97's. They became
>available after 98. Any tips from anybody out there? Thanks a lot.
>
>Alex
>97 CC Sport V8 5spd
>Airaid Intake
>Gibson split-rear cat-back

OK ,yes I did install a passenger grab handle on my 97 4x4 sport. It was
pretty straightforward, simply yank out the existing A-pillar molding and
stick the new piece of cutout molding in. Once thats done, mark where
you're going to drill the holes for the handle in the A-pillar and yank the
molding out again. Drill the holes ( slightly smaller than the screws of
course ) and replace the new molding and attach the handle. Should be a 1/2
hr job. FYI about 3 months after I bought my truck ( purchased Jan 97) I
saw a nother new dak in a parking lot with a passenger handle in it. I just
happened to run into the guy that owned it and inquired about the handle.
He told me that it was an option but it just wasn't listed as one when you
looked at the Dak brochure. He diddnt elaborate as to how he knew this but
the pars guy confirmed that story when I went to order my handle at the
dealer.

PS If I remember correctly you'll need a torx bit for the supplied screws that
   come with the handle.