RE: TB mods ?'s for flyboy01

From: Bridges, Bruce (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 12:43:21 EST

Mike,DML,

" don't understand what you are trying to say here. The O2 sensor (when in
run/hot/closed loop mode) trys to keep the "ideal" ratio. This shouldl be
under
computer control all the time, and that's why we are able to make mods
(within the limits of the computers range, and the injectors capacity.) I
would
think that since the stock injectors are at about max flow at WOT, adding
more air
WOULD make it leaner, once the injectors are at their limits.
 Also on your TB mod page, here in Kalifornia, the AQMD checks the seal on
the idle screw, if it's gone, you fail smog, and loose the $ cap on repairs.
 If after the mods, there is more air getting past the 46mm butterfly, at
the
50mm bore (6mm of air gap), I would think that the butterflys would need to
be replaced with 50mm., not adjusting the idle screw.

   Hmm, how is this handled with Bruces stage ll (which I have on order),
Bruce, is it really a drop-in, or does the idle screw need to be tweaked?

Well, for one, its handled badly since we have removed the idle screw cap
and not replaced it. We will be fixing that asap! As for the excess idle
air, on the stage Ones we use the stock plates and the stock bore diameter @
the plate. We leave the screws alone! On the stage IIs we put in custom
plates that are bigger in diameter and .010 thinner. We retain the factory
wall to plate clearances. Again we leave the screw in the factory posistion
so as not to disturb the TPS too much. The IAC is the real idle control for
air bypass, and will adjust as neccessary for each system. WARNING: The
following is pure speculation based on observations:
@ WOT the duty cycle of the injectors on a 360 magnum is pretty close to the
magic 80% with a big TB. for the stock pintle style Siemens injectors that
is the "hang" point. Those Mopar engineers seem (key word here since I
dont have "cracked" code) to want to avoid going further than that at any
cost. BUT, this appears to be hard coded and not "fed back" from the O2
sensors, so its a fixed "roll off" protocol that can not make use of the
extra capacity of big injectors... This is all supposition from dyno
testing, F/A eval and injector pulse width vs. rpm. Does any one know
anything about this? ANYONE...
Bruce "bad call on the idle screw caps" Bridges