Re: Tek-Style Bike Rack

From: Randy Drew (FonMan@ican.net)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 15:46:35 EST

brian duffey wrote:

> Randy, Mike and any others looking for Dak bike racks.
>
> I'd also suggest checking out the Yakima rack for truck beds.
> This is a bar that you install in the truck bed and the bikes attach with
> one
> of their standard fork mounts. I've been using one ever since I've had my
> DAK ('95)
> and would recommend it. Installation does require minor drilling, but the
> bar/rack can be
> easily removed (about 15 secs.) & also can be locked into the mounts. As a
> former Mt. Bike racer, mine saw ALOT of hard use and always holds the bike
> very steady, even on rough back
> country (forest service) roads. Properly spaced fork mounts will allow you
> to carry three Mt. bikes. (Fork mounts are by far the most secure means to
> transport your bikes.)
>
> Just another option for you to consider.
>
> Duff
> '95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
> MSD 6AL - MSD Blaster Coil
> MSD 8.5 wires - K&N FIPK
> -------------
> Original Text
> >From JETMUGG@SMTPGATE {Jetmugg@aol.com}, on 11/01/1999 8:06 PM:
> To: DAKOTA-T@SMTPGATE {dakota-truck@buffnet.net}
>
> I checked through a bunch of pictures this afternoon, and I don't really
> have
> a good one that shows how the bikes attach to the rack, so I'll try to give
> description. When the weather gets nicer, I'll take some good pics. Okay-
> for starters, the whole rack bolts to some extra bed-rail clamps, just like
> the ones used to hold the tonneau frame in place. The rack actually bolts
> these brackets (clamps) through grommets placed in the tonneau (I have not
> noticed any significant leakage from the grommets). There are two main rails
> which span the width of the bed. Onto these two rails are two pices of c-
> shaped channel (much like a Thule or Yakima rack), which mount to the cross-
> rails, with the "c" shape open upwards. At the front are regular quick
> releases for the front forks, and the rear tires are clamped into the c
> channel. I added some additional support, in the form of two tie down
> "loops", which I use to strap the frames of the bikes to the rack. This
> removes any swaying from the bikes in crosswinds, rough roads, etc. The
> factory setup was okay, but I wanted a bit more security for my (and my
> wife's) bicycles. The rack works well with both mountain and road bikes,
> and
> I have used it to haul some other odd-shaped objects as well (including a
> car-
> top carrier) on occasion.
>
> Hope this helps for now, until I get some good pics. Tek-Style may be able
> provide some pics also, I know they have a pic of the rack in some of their
>
> SteveM.
Hey brian (or Duff if you prefer)

Thanks for the input as well. You don't have pictures of it in your
truck with bikes do you? I just want to see the various types of bike
racks available.

thanks, =)

randy drew
fonman@ican.net

98 dak sport (parked again due to excessive snow) black (or at least it
was) v6 not 4x4 (insert comments about canada, igloos, etc here)
i need an extra dog for my sled tonight (were expecting another foot of
snow) :(