Mileage vs. Performance

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 17:31:58 EST

>also as mileage goes up... perf goes down...

   I'm not sure I understand Jules statement here. In theory, shouldn't a
100% efficient engine have the most MPG and the most Power? I always thought
that if you can generate the same amount of power with less fuel (more
effcient), then the corallary is also true that if you add more gas to that
equation you get more power.
Example: If it requires 100 horsepower to make my Dak do 70 mph, and I use 1
gallon of gas to go 13 miles at that speed, then if I can generate 100 hp with
less gas I have attained higher MPG and Performance since if I dump that same
gallon of gas into the engine over 13 miles of road I should be generating
more than 100hp and thus higher speed.
   So now I'm curious as to why mpg and performance are diametrically opposed,
as Jules feels, unless Jules is talking about driving around with your foot on
the floor all the time and then we are talking about MPG versus "performance
demand" which is not the same as engine performance.

Shaun H.