Re: MPG was: Synthetic oils

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Thu Jan 14 1999 - 19:05:37 EST

I'll make you feel better.. (maybe) I get about 14 mpg on a good day, and
probably average closer to 13.5- but then again, I'm driving a 5200Lb Ram
1500 QC 4x4 Auto.

The sticks get better mileage... (I know, my last Ram was a stick, and got
as high as 19mpg)
What I have against me (and I know you share a couple of these, at least):
4x4 (more weight, and more rotating mass (front axle, bigger tires))
Auto (parasitic drag... significantly more than stick)
CC (again, more weight)
Aerodynamics of a brick (ok, we all have this..)
altitude (I'm at 6000-7000 ft above sea level- this hurts power, which
requires more throttle)
terrain (I drive a hilly, winding mountain road every day on my commute)

what I have in my favor:
cool truck that I like to drive
better view of traffic from my altitude
peace of mind that if some @$$|-|()! passes when they shouldn't have on that
hilly, winding mountain road, I'll win!

personally, it bothers me more to hear about some of the Ram 2500 Cummins
owners- they've got more weight (5800-6000Lbs), but they get as much as
20mpg unloaded!

Gary Shook