Re: Mod Questions

From: N2mopars@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 15 1999 - 00:19:03 EST

<< Hey everybody! I just signed up to the list again,(been a while) and
 before I only used it as a spectaor sport (only read and never
 asked....stupid). Anyway I have a few questions. First I have a '96 RC
 sport with the 318 and was wondering if anyone has painted there black
 bumpers to match. If so, do you have any pictures and could you send me
 some? I have seen several darker colored daks (green, black, etc.) but I
 have not seen any lighter colered except with graphics.

 Second, I have talked to Terry Delong from Pro Finish and he has given
 me some advice as to fixing up my engine but one has me confused. He
 says that when I install the Mopar Performance Computer I also need to
 put in heavier valve springs to compensate. ( and while there go ahead
 and install some roller rockers) I plan on doing these mods but want to
 do them when I get around to installing a new cam and ported heads. (
 I'm not rich just seriuos about fixing up my dak) I want to get the
 computer pretty soon around the same time that I am getting my exhaust.
 I already have a 14" k&n clone installed and that made a big difference.
 Any input on this would be great!

 Third and last, how much performance will I lose if I keep my 3.55
 rearend? I want performance but I also want to be able to take trips and
 whatnot without going to crazy at the pump. (the 93 octane for the
 computer will be bad enough)

 I ahve other questions but will keep from putting them here to keep this
 post from getting any longer.

 Sorry for such a long post!!!!

 Jeff Durling
 '96 Red RC Sport 318

I have the same truck. Cant help with the paint, but can help with the mods.
First, you dont need to change the springs with the computer, just keep the
revs below 5200RPM. The new comp will "let " you rev higher, but you wont
make anymore power after 5200rpm. I went from the 3.55's to a 4.10 rear gear.
I run short rear tires (26 inches tall). With my tire size, I probably should
have installed 3.90's. I plan on converting to 5 lug whels, and running
taller tires. If you run the stock height tire, you can use 4.10's. But I
now believe that 3.90's are the best all around ratio. Heres my webpage
address: http:/members.aol.com/N2mopars/page2.index.html It has pics and all
the dirty info and mods to my truck. It did run in the 14.20's at 96mph. He
he! My page has details. Lets just say, a connecting rod wanted to move
out!!! LOL

Brad