Formula for speedo pinion gears.

From: Jetmugg@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 15 1999 - 12:42:51 EST

Based on the chart posted earlier by Bob in Ontario, I have derived a formula
that we can use to determine the proper pinion gear for our speedos, based on
any given tire diameter and gear ratio. Here it is:

     #of pinion teeth = (263 x Axle Ratio) / Tire Diameter.

Sorry about the crude mathematical symbols - here is a quick descrition also-
Multiply your axle ratio by 263, and divide that quantity by your tire
diameter. This number is the proper # of pinion teeth. This number may not
be an exact integer, so round to the nearest whole number.

This will work for any combination of tire diameter and axle ratio, and should
allow us to play around with theorhetical tire sizes and ratios.

Remember: The # of pinion teeth is the last 2 numbers of the part #.

Also Note: There is a mistake in the chart posted earlier by Bob. In the
column for 24" tires, and the 2.76 axle ratio, the # of teeth should be 30,
not 38.

My education is finally paying off.

Steve M.