Re: Converters?

From: bgbeaird@neosoft.com
Date: Sun Jan 17 1999 - 09:57:33 EST

>I once heard there was a law that you cant change your catalytic converter
>till the vehicle has 50,000 miles on it or more. Is this true or false? Or
>is it a state to state thing?

You can't change them out unless something is wrong with the original.
It doesn't matter what state you are in, with the exception of
enforcement. Calif. is a little stricter than others. It also doesn't
matter what mileage. Under 50K mi, the converter is handled under an
emissions warranty and the dealer should to the changeout.

Most gearheads figure that if they install high flow cats, they are safe
for emissions inspections, and 'helping the environment'. If there was
nothing wrong with the converter they took off, they are still breaking
the law. It is a Clean Air Act thing. Also, if you remove the
converter, you are supposed to tag it with the vehicle VIN, date and
mileage and keep it in case an inspector wants to drop by and inspect it
(yeah, right!).

Gene Beaird
98 Flame Red CC R/T (original converter) :-)