RE: Wimpy stock coil(HELP!)

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 13:42:42 EST

In theory...Yes. (Gap the plugs slightly larger for a "hotter" spark.) In
a real world scenario, probably nothing noticeable.

A good example of this would be the "Tried and True" GM HEI Ignition. The
stock coil can only produce 40K Volts up to about 4500RPM and then drops
after 5000RPM. The aftermarket coils (Accel or Mallory) run up to 7500RPM
before dropping any voltage. (This is taking into consideration that you've
also replaced the Control Module as well.) You do gain extra "Fire Power"
for the higher RPM's...but will you be actually be running your daily driver
that high??