RE: Any Ideas?

From: Weingart, Robert F (Robert) (rweingart@lucent.com)
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 15:08:01 EST

Dan-

  Check to see if it is a spark problem or a fuel problem. I know you said
you checked the ignition system, but... Pull one of the spark plug wires
and see if you have a spark while cranking. You could even check the coil
wire. (Hold the wire a couple of mm away from a solid ground with INSULATED
pliers). If you see a healthy spark, move on to the fuel system (the coil
will give a rapid spark and the plug wire will give a slower pulsed spark).
  If there is no spark, check the obvious items, like the wires going to the
coil and the dist cap and rotor. I would even pull the main harness
connector at the computer (right inner fender) and check for corrosion.
Also check for any cracked or frayed wires at this connector. It is most
likely covered in some nasty oil and grease from the engine, so look
carefully.
  If all of that is OK, then I would suspect the distributor pick or the
computer. The reluctor in the dist may have crapped out or the computer may
have fried.

  When you sprayed carb cleaner down the TB would the car fire at all if you
cranked it? (BTW: DO NOT use carb cleaner on the TB, use TB cleaner. You
can kill the plastics in the TB and your O2 sensor) If the motor is starved
for fuel, then the motor will sputter with the cleaner sprayed down the TB.
If it does try to fire, then suspect either the fuel pump or filter. The
filter may be seriously clogged and not letting any fuel by or the pump may
have quit.
  When you turn the ignition on, do you hear the pump startup? You should
hear a quick burst from the pump while it pressurizes the system. If not
check for voltage at the pump when the key is turned on. You should see a
spike of 12V when the ignition is first turned on. Then, you should see 12V
while you are cranking. If you do then the pump is probably shot. When my
friend's Dak fuel pump quit, he got home by giving the tank a whack with his
fist. It jarred the pump to work again. The float guides on the pump had a
wear spot that the pickup got stuck on.
  One other quick thing you could try is to pull the fuel line going to the
TB (there is a feed and a return) and see if you have any flow or hook a
pressure gage to see if there is any pressure. Unfortunately, there is no
schrader valve to attach the gage to like on the magnum motors. Have a
length of hose ready and a coffee can to catch the fuel!

Narrow down the problem to spark or fuel and let us know what the results
are.

Good Luck!

Rob Weingart

<<<
My '89 3.9L v-6 (fuel injected) Is turning over, but not starting.
I started having this problem about a week ago.I drove it for about 3
days with no trouble. It would start and then die in the middle of
driving.The engine would just cut off in the middle of the road. Some
mornings the engine would start, some it wouldnt. I've checked the spark
coil, the plugs, and i've tried cleaning the throttle body with carb
cleaner. Im not sure why the engine works sometimes, and doesnt others.
Could this problem be related to the computer chip? Im up the creek
without a paddle. Any help would be appreciated!

Dan Matthews
'89 Dakota LE
3.9L V-6, Auto, 2wd