Re: Re: Converters?

From: HKUSP40578@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 18 1999 - 17:35:38 EST

In a message dated 1/18/99 4:25:23 PM EST, mcc@negia.net writes:

<< I believe I read that someone had
 a part inside of theirs to break and make a rattle?

 Anyway, since I have a good reason to, I am going to put in a high flow
 cat (if the rattle is from there). Does anyone have any recommendations
 for high flow cats? What do they cost? What kind of horsepower gain do
 they provide? >>

Chad,
     This is that same thing that happened on my 93 Dakota 4x4 V6 at about
75,000 miles......the cat started to rattle and eventually got really horrible
gas mileage. There are internal parts in the cat these can and do break off,
and as the gases flow through the cat, it causes the broken item(s) to rattle.
I suggest to replace it very soon, as I should have. I replaced it with a hi-
flo converter and did not notice anything, other than a slight change in
exhaust tone. But I can say I have a hi-flo cat!!!!! Mine cost at the time,
$145 installed. From what I undestand though, is that the factory cat is
already a hi-flo unit. Good luck on what ever you decide, just get it fixed.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6