Re: RE: DML Digest V4 #200

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Wed Jan 20 1999 - 18:00:58 EST

>Gary:
>
>I my '84 Olds Cutlass Ciera did just that. The lock wouldn't
>unlock when the tranny was warm. I'd be double footing the
>automatic. Even downshifting the auto wouldn't work. The
>mechanic just unplugged something so the TC would NEVER lock.
>Crappy mileage but hey, I didn't get stranded anymore.
>(Funny how no-one helps a sixteen year old with an urban
>camouflaged car (white with grey primer all over it)).

funny... I had the same thing happen to my '89 Corsica, it was the TC lockup
solenoid... something about when it fails, it sticks in lock mode...common
problem with that xmission- once it was stuck locked, and then engine
stalled at a light, you had to put it in neutral to restart, and rev it up
to about 3 grand and drop it into drive so it wouldn't stall (complete with
spinning tires, etc)... was kinda fun, and I didn't care, since it was just
a genericar anyway... after getting an estimate for $485 (1/3 of what I sold
it for) I looked up the tranny wiring diagram in the service manual at the
library... found the connector to disconnect... never had a problem after
that..

Gary Shook