Re: Re: brass cap & rotor

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 14:06:04 EST

At 09:57 AM 1/21/1999 -0700, you wrote:

>>has anybody put the accel brass cap and rotor on there dak?? is it any
>>batter than a regular?? i want to replace my cap and rotor and was
>>wondering if should get the brass or not... if it doesn't make a
>>difference than i won't...
>
>It won't make a "difference" until it's on there for a while- the brass cap
>& rotor don't oxidize as quickly, and when they do, it doesn't degrade
>performance as much- Aluminum oxide is a good insulator, is VERY hard (used
>in some sandpaper), and forms a layer on the surface, while brass oxidation
>is somewhat conductive, and comparatively soft, so sparks will blast holes
>in it.
>
>Gary Shook

My Accel has literaly been eating distributor caps. My brass one lasted a
year, (and almost stranded me in Houston!), and I have been through 2 or 3
aluminum ones since Oct. I swapped back to the stock coil until I can find
a cheap brass cap in my area. We have a NAPA, Autozone, and a Parts
AMerica, but when I go and ask about brass caps, they can never find any...

Brian