Re: RE: Re: brass cap & rotor(Eating dist.caps?!?!)

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Fri Jan 22 1999 - 01:03:13 EST

At 10:53 PM 1/21/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Absolutely NOT.
>

>> Ok.....this post has me worried......just when I am about to go
>> to my local
>> speed shop tomorrow and order my Accel Coil!!! Do aftermarket coils really
>> tear up dist.caps this much????? Anyway to help prevent it?? I am
>> currently
>> running Borg Warner Select brass cap and rotor(been on since July98) and I
>> really want this Accel Coil but do not want to go through all these
>> caps.....any input/suggestions????
>> Kyle
>> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

I have to agree with Bernd here. I just put anther Mopar aluminum
cap/rotor on not too long ago - need to check if it's okay. If it's not, I
don't know what is wrong, especially since I'm running the stock coil now.
The cap/rotors I PERSONALLY have probs with(or seem to at least) are the
aluminum cap/rotors from Autozone, NAPA, Parts America. I think it's
really just a quality issue (i.e. - they are cheaply built). As far as my
brass Mopar cap/rotor dying, I am not sure. I know how the cap failed, not
why, though. The rotor got corroded (sp?) on the end of it. Because of
this, the rotor would fire on cap at the very edge of the posts. The posts
got hot enough to melt(fry, actually) the plastic, or the plastic got fired
on by the rotor. Eventually one post moved out of place because of the
melted plastic. The rest of the posts were in place, but surrounded and
covered with bits of melted plastic. It finally stopped firing when the
rotor was completely covered with melted plastic. Fortunately I just got
into town when this happened.=)

Now, if I could figure out why the rotor was corroded it would help me
figure out why all the above happened. I DO NOT believe it's the coil's
fault. And yes, I recommend the Accel coil if you're going to change from
the factory one.

Brian