Re: Amateur Radio and noise

From: jim miller (jmiller@texnet.net)
Date: Sun Jan 24 1999 - 00:03:29 EST

Ron Gallimore wrote:

> I have a 97 Dakota sport and I am an amateur radio operator. I have a
> problem with radio noise. I will be driving down the road and an open
> carrier will appear in the 146 - 161 MHz range. Thanks
> Ron, KC8JFK
> ICQ#: 2522310

Hi Ron from Jim in Waco, WB5OXQ. I have both HF and 2M and 440 in my 99
R/T, and they were in my 98 Sport V8 before that. I do not have the problem
you describe. I wonder if you have a poor ground at your antenna mounting
or you ran the coax near the computer (behind the factory air cleaner box)?
My TS50 HF rig and my TM733 Dual bander are mounted piggyback on the dash
just to the left of the ashtray. The coax cables and power cables run
through a grommet in the firewall to the left of the brake pedal and exit
just below the power brake booster. Then the coax cables run underneath the
truck to the antennas. My Comet dual band antennas is mounted on a
fiberglass bed cover lined with foil tape for a ground plane. My HF antennas
is a "screwdriver" mounted on the rear bumper. I get excellent results with
minimal interference on either radio. You must have either an antenna
problem or something wrong with the electrical system in the truck. I have
talked to other hams with mobile rigs in Dodge trucks and nobody has claimed
any problems.
Jim in Waco.
99 R/T RC
Texas Radio Operator Plates WB5OXQ