Re: fast rice rockets -Reply

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Wed Jan 27 1999 - 14:30:55 EST

This reminds me of a story that was run in a Mopar rag a while back, can't
remember which one... they setup a Nitrous kit that was made for TEMPORARY
installation... it plugged into the cigarette lighter, was contained in a
duffel bag, got it's fuel from the Schrader valve on the fuel rail, and
dumped the nitrous into the air filter box.

so they tested this thing out on a RENTAL Neon... with an Auto, no less...
they started with a 25 HP jet... not much... they were impressed when it
held up to the 50 HP jet, then the 75... but then they went all out, with
the 125HP jet... BONE STOCK Neon... the editor was pulling a MAJOR burnout
across an intersection, when BOOM!!

They thought they blew the motor... (good thing they got the insurance
coverage, eh?) but as it turns out, all they did was rev the motor past the
rev limiter (injector cutoff) but the motor kept revving on the juice & feed
from the fuel rail... until the valves floated & it backfired, blowing apart
the air box.... they just expoxied the air box back together, and returned
the car... really impressed as to what the engine (and auto transmission)
could take...