Re: RE: First night at the track

From: ZXiMan@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 29 1999 - 00:13:17 EST

Alan,

    Funny you should mention Texas Motorplex, all my quartermile times were
done at the Texas Motorplex....I live in Dallas. My absolute worst run I've
ever had was a 13.84@106 mph when it was new (very low miles) and I hadn't
gotten used to driving it. I've never read a magazine test over 13.6 (even
autos) and we all know that the mags "standardize" their testing criteria
(sometimes a little slower than actual times). I would bet $100.00 any six
speed coupe that was broken in well could break the 13s easy. I've owned some
fast cars....the fastest being a '90 Mustang LX 5.0 (bought it almost
completely stripped from the factory, meaning no a/c, no power anything..no
radio nothing. they didn't even put the sound deadner in!) and it ran 13.90s
out of the box all day long. When I was done with this car, it was very
competitive in Pro 5.0 competition, running 10.80s at over 127 mph thru the
traps....all at Texas Motorplex, Baytown etc. My point is, that the Mustang
ran 13.90s and 14.0s all day in pretty much any conditions and their is no
comparison in power between the two cars (in stock form). The LS1 is very
unlike most GM (or any other V-8 power delivery for that matter) powerplants
(the LT4 immediately comes to mind). It's very "peaky" meaning the launch is
very difficult. Tell your buddy to leave at 3000-3200 rpms slipping the clutch
as he floors it and I gauranty his times will plummet big time. Even Automatic
C5s run mid 13s (at least the 4-5 that were there for the Corvette meet).

           When comparing my 15.0 second R/T and my 13.0 second C5...there is
none. The race ends with the C5 about 20 car lengths (so it seems from both
car views) ahead. If it were only 5-6 tenths quicker, the cars would be much
more even. But in all honesty, my C5 isn't stock (Just bolt-ons) but when it
was, it ran 13.40s@108 mph from the get go. How much power does it put to the
ground? It put 315hp to the rear wheels and now puts down close to 330hp at
the wheels (on a Dynojet 248E) which equates to around 380hp flywheel. Sorry
about my rambling.....

P.S. When comparing my G-tech to the track clocks, the G-tech is about 1 tenth
slow and 1-2 mph slow....My 0-60 times are around 4.5 to 4.6
seconds....according to g-tech and vericom 2000...

James Crone
Performance Engineering
940-321-5865