RE:DML Like a kid in a ...

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Fri Jan 29 1999 - 11:35:00 EST

I can tell you some things that I would definitely recommend for abusive
driving conditions and loads. I'm not sure you need 4WD but if you're more
cozy with that then go for it. Here's some "musts" in my book:

V-8
Heavy Duty Service Package (Increases Electrical capability & radiator)
Tire & Handling Package (great rims: tires suck- see below)
Heavy Duty Towing Package (killer hitch assembly! tranny cooler)
Heavy Duty Hauling Package (increases payload to 2K lbs)
Limited Slip Differential (with 4WD gives you 3 powered wheels!)
Bed Liners: since you haul steel use a drop in with a spray in under it.

First things first: Ditch the tires that come with the package. Drive off the
lot to a tire store and sell them back near to full price (they are new) and
get 31"x10" tires (these are the size that the Durango comes with) with some
moderately agressive tread. You can have the Dealer set your vehicle speed
sensor to act like a Durango and then your gauges will be dead on accurate
again. These tires will give you great distance driving mileage (mine jumped
from 14.5 mpg to 17.1 mpg with just the tires alone) and will chew through
snow much better than the cheesy Goodyear LS passenger car tires will.

   If you really need to haul heavy loads, I recommend contacting Patrick here
on the list for a Firestone Air-Ride suspension for the rear. It can handle
serious loads and keep your truck level even if they dump 3000 lbs of steel in
your bed. I can't guarantee your axle or frame could take that abuse, but it
works great on my Dakota and I haul 500lbs around in it all the time. The
basic kit is around $200 and takes about 2 hours to install.

   Hopes that helps.

Shaun H.