Re: Cleaning Fuel Injectors?

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 03:04:10 EST

>I recently bought a used 1990 dak with the V6 (only 51Kmiles). It's got
>the dual-port fuel injection. I want to get some insight on what I should
>do to make sure the injectors are clean. I know you can buy a million fuel
>additives that claim to clean injectors, but I skeptical that 12 ounces of
>anything diluted in 15 gallons of gas could really make a difference. I

Iīm pretty skeptical about additives too, but "Better Living Through
Chemistry" has some truth to it. I realized this after trying some Chevron
Techron. What I did was to put it in the second tank of gas on a 3000 mile
trip (back home to Montana from SoCal). Works like a Champ -- both in my
college car, which just so happens was a Plymouth Champ -- and in the
Dakota.

But I recently tried a bottle of Valvolineīs Synthetic Fuel Injector
cleaner. This stuff really works, and I used it on a trip to the desert and
back - only about 500 total. Itīs pricey stuff, at $11 bottle, but throttle
response was much better afterwards.

Cheaper than a Jiffy Lube fix.

Jim