Re: washing (was paint problems)

From: Elmer Hanhart (hanharte@swbell.net)
Date: Mon Feb 01 1999 - 19:12:51 EST

Thats more of a myth than reality if the car is new. The paint from the
factory is actually pretty well cured by the time you get it. If you get
something repainted at a body shop, wait a while. Clearcoat
scratches/spiderwebbing/swirl marks, are all caused by: A. Nylon brushes
B. Dirty wash mits C. gas station car washes (nylon brushes).

Alway spray off any visible dirt, especially on the rocker panels.
Always wash the top of the truck first (this is usually the cleanest and
most visible area of the truck). Wash the bottom of the truck last. Keep
cleaning off your wash mit in a 5 gallon bucket of soap to get the
abrasive dirt off. NEVER use nylon brushes, sponges (they hold dirt in
the pores and when you rinse them it stays), revolving brush
Auto-carwashes. Touchless carwashes are good to use, but most of them
fail to get all of the dirt off. Use car wash mits (the cotton kind).

There is much more to this, but this will help to reduce clearcoat
scratches. It is almost impossible to avoid them entirely (especially on
black or other dark colors). Show cars paint isn't perfect because of
buffing, its because they never get washed (or waxed for that matter).

Erich