Re: To Mark. To Bob Tom, was: Mopar Computers

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Wed Feb 03 1999 - 14:35:19 EST

Mark

The performance gain is there but the oil pressure/
water temp./fuel/battery/speedometer/odometer gauges
do not function.

Looking at the '96 and '97 FSMs, Dodge altered the
wiring to the instrument panel in a major way. Basically,
in the '96, signals are sent straight to the panel from the sensors.
In the '97, signals are sent from sensors to the PCM, from the PCM
to the CTM (Central Timer Module ... located behind the glovebox),
calculations are done at the CTM, and then sent to the panel.

I've got 4 options.
Least attractive and probable = major rewiring.
Run aftermarket gauges for track use only.
Run an OBD-II mechanic's scanner for track use only.
Sell it to a '96 owner who wants improved performance.

I'm looking into the third option. I have the scanner and am
now waiting for the OBD-II add-on cartridge.

Of course, if someone comes out soon with a true performance
computer ....

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 auto., flame red
  Gibson duals, KN drop-in
  Coloured-keyed grille guard, running boards
      and hard tonneau cover
  Deflectors, grille insert
  AR-211 15x7 rims (4.75" backspace)