Attn: Bruce Bridges "Engineering Theory"

From: RCPL-VAN CNIWR (RCPL-VAN_CNIWR@van.reid-crowther.com)
Date: Wed Feb 03 1999 - 15:34:38 EST

     Hi, Bruce. I was reading your reply about restrictions to the cat and
     differences in velocities between a 2.5" and 3". You had stated that
     velocity slows when there is a restriction (like a smaller pipe). From
     my days in mechanical engineering in college, the continuity equation
     says that, if flow is the same, velocity INCREASES when there is a
     reduction in area. This is the equation where A1v1 = A2v2. By
     reducing the area, velocity goes up. You have a good point about the
     boundary layer on the surface of the pipe. I guess you're talking
     about friction loss and the resulting energy that the high velocity
     air in the pipe loses.

     Watching your velocity in the pipe is important for tuning an engine,
     as I'm sure you'd agree. Scavenging can help produce more hp.

     I'm not trying to flame anybody, but just bringing up some engineering
     rules that are ever-present when working with fluid dynamics. Thanks
     for the time.

     Chad Niwranski