RE: tires [backspacing]

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Feb 04 1999 - 15:23:53 EST

<< thanks.....so if I want to look for a new 15 rim....I should be looking
<< for a back spacing of 5.5" to be in the go???? I naturally have the 17s
<< on so....

Jason

Backspacing and rim width go together. The 5.5" backspacing
on a 7" wide rim is aok for the '97+ Dakotas. For some, 5.5"
backspacing on an 8" rim for 97+ Dakotas, would not be okay
because the rim will stick out beyond the fender lip by about 1/2".

The rim diameter does come into play when trying to figure out
where a rim fits within the wheel well. The overall diameter
of rim and tire is adjusted by choosing differing size tires.

Is your Dakota an R/T with fender flares, 17 x 9 in. cast aluminum
rims and P255/55 R17 tires?

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55 auto., flame red
  Gibson duals, KN drop-in
  Coloured-keyed grille guard, running boards
      and hard tonneau cover
  Deflectors, grille insert
  AR-211 15x7 rims (4.75" backspace)