Re: Takeoff hoser...was...speedo gear

From: Jason Yates (j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Feb 05 1999 - 11:54:34 EST

OK, I'm hesitant to stick my nose into this and make it such an
annoyingly long debate, but here's my .02:

It is true that the length it takes to get a plane off the ground will
vary depending upon altitude, humidity, temp, weight and all that;
however, the acceleration of the aircraft will only vary based upon
its weight (and the pilot's throttle use). Therefore, feel free to
race that big badboy to a specific 'finish line' and then you tell us
how fast you we're going and whether the plane in your rearview is off
the ground. ;)

Get some,
Jason Y

---Greg Popovich wrote:

> Ahhhhh.... nope.... Altitude,weather,and temp do affect both takeoff
and
> landing of aircraft especially on larger aircraft(unless you're using
> JATO).
>
> Greg (CWO USAFA/CAP Ret.)
> 95 DSCC v6 5spd
>

> >Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 23:49:55 -0600
> >From: Drew Schofield <droopie@midsouth.rr.com>
> >To: DML <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
> >Subject: DML: 747's and daks
> >Date: Thu, 4 Feb. 1999 21:57:29 -0500
> >From: Mark Kuzia <flyboy01@worldnet.att.net>
> >Subject: Re: DML: speedo gear
> >
> >The takeoff speed only varies with weight but is not affected by
> >altitude,
> >weather, or temp. It ranges from 135 kts to 165 kts depending on
> >

> >--
> >
> >It does vary with altitude or temp. For example, KLM has a nonstop
> from
> >here in Memphis to Amsterdam. They can carry more freight in the
> winter
> >than in the summer because the air is denser. They're building a
new
> 2
> >mile long runway here just for KLM and FedEX mainly so they can
Always