Re: electric fans attn: tom

From: Tom & Fern Moffat (tomm@datarecall.net)
Date: Fri Aug 21 1998 - 18:14:15 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: David Gloff <dgloff@xnet.com>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net <dakota-truck@buffnet.net>
Date: Thursday, February 04, 1999 2:28 PM
Subject: Re: DML: electric fans attn: tom

>You need a device called a battery isolator. it allows both batteries to
>be charged without introducing noise or something like that. Don't have
>one, and you might blow your SBEC (not good!). I don't think they're very
>expensive, check out your local car stereo shop.
>
>David Gloff
>Computer Technician
>Valcom Professional Computer Center; Kemper/Scudder/Zurich Funds
>aolim: dgloff
>Loaded Intense Blue '99 Dakota Sport CC 318 5-speed 3.92SG
>Sony C680 CD Player and HX-504 amp
>Phoenix Gold XS 10" Sub, 6 1/2" midranges, 3/4" tweeters
>
>On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Jon Steiger wrote:
>
>> >In a message dated 2/2/99 10:51:11 AM, tomm@datarecall.net writes:
>> ><< We use the Flexalite dual fan setup 400-m210 in Jegs catalog. For
>> >the most part it works fine, but does bear some watching in summer,
>> >especially if you run pulleys. If I sit and idle for along time, say 5
min,
>> >the fan can keep up(not as good as the stocker but acceptable). The
problem
>> >lies in the current draw. Due to the pulleys my voltage will go in the
>> >toilet bowl if I'm not careful. In my experience, and 2 other friends,
it's
>> >not an install and forget about part. I due enjoy using it at the track
>> >cool down between runs. All these trucks are daily drivers.
>> > Tom (11s dak)
>>

>> Hey, speaking of which... I've been thinking of getting an
>> electric fan one of these days, and I thought it might not be a bad
>> idea to add a second battery. Especially since I also would like to
>> use it at the track while the engine is off. What would be the best
>> way to hook something like that up? You audiophiles can probably
>> help me out... :-)
>>
>> I assume it should be wired up in parallel with the stock battery?
>>

>> -Jon-
>>

> The a lot of the boomers do run a # of batteries in parallel. I do feel
like using an isol. would be the better way to go if using a dual batt.
setup, but do really want an extra 40lbs when your racing? The stocker
should be acceptable. Just be smart and don't crank the stereo,etc. while in
the staging lanes. It's sooo annoying anyway. Usually these are the slowest
cars anyway.