Houston SCCA Autocross results

From: bgbeaird@neosoft.com
Date: Sun Feb 07 1999 - 21:42:05 EST

Well, we had a GREAT time at today's Houston SCCA Autocross at the
Hitchcock Blimp base today. Kinda cloudy and damp, but the rain held off
so we could get some driving done! Barbara and I both ran ESP, because
the ram air intake on the SS and headers on the Dakota. Quite a lot of
competition, mostly Rustangs and F-bodys, but we were STILL competitive!!

In a range between 50 and 60+ seconds, we placed well in the pack. I had
a best run of 56 seconds, and Barbara ran in the 58 second range. Not
bad for a 4200+ LB car with the ORIGINAL tires and a TRUCK!

It was a nice, fast, albeit a little confusing course. I ran at speeds
toward the top of second, and Barbara ran in third with OD disengaged.
There were SEVERAL people who were suprised at the way the truck ran.
There was a small group of pony boys making fun of the truck before the
event. After we had our runs, one of them, who owned a supercharged,
DOT-tired GT came over to ask a lot about how the truck ran and 'what it
was like to autocross a truck'. Barbara ran equivalent times to this guy
(g).

There was one SC Lightening truck running in Modified. The guy ran
pretty good, turning a 56-second time. We might have to try to rig up
something like the traction bar system he had. It looked like just a
straight piece of spring steel with a rubber snubber on it wedged between
the spring perch and springs. It apparently works.

There were two other HAILERs there. Unfortunately, my diesel-smoked,
dehydrated, margarita-soaked brain cannot think of your names, and I
didn't get your times, or I would have posted them. The '96 F-Stock SS
and F'bird were running GOOD, though, and you will hopefully pipe in with
your times and thoughts of the event.

Yes, we ARE interested in working the GP! Please let us know when the
next SCCA course working event is so we can arrange our work schedules.

For those of you who have been to Hitchcock, they are making
improvements. They have moved a trailer (as in tractor trailer rig w/o
the tractor part) onto the lot and set it up beside the course. They
have 5 new bathrooms in the trailer, so no more port-a-potty, although
one is still available for those who want to rough it. The bathroom deal
is a bit nicer. Also, the timing and scoring is run from this trailer
(adjacent to the bathrooms (g)), and it is air conditioned, so it should
be the place to work this summer. The only problem is that they are
presently running it off a (turbo)diesel generator, and the exhaust is
upwind from the paddock. That is why I am drunk with diesel fumes
tonight.

Speaking of timing and scoring, Barbara and I worked with timing and
scoring today for our 'work time'. It was VERY intense and stressful,
but made the work shift go by VERY fast, and was actually a little fun.
I have a renewed appreciation for what the people who do timing and
scoring go through. We hope to do it again next time. Suckers for
punishment, huh? :-)

Well, that is it. If you missed it, well, you missed it. We met a lot
of nice people today, and got to talk to some old friends (even if we
can't remember any names). The competition was great, and can't wait
'till next week!

Gene Beaird
95 DGGM SSSS
98 Flame Red CC R/T